• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Raw Food Recipes

StarOceanHouse

Bluelight Crew
So I'm about to embark on a raw food diet. Not raw vegan, just raw everything. Mostly raw fish though. So I need some help with some recipes with you raw food peeps. Got any good ones?

I don't have any recipes aside from lettuce-based ones. Like spinach, romaine, sunflower seeds, raisins (some are technically raw), annnd all sorts of other produce.

Mainly wanted to post and give you a heads up to be wary of eating raw fish... Didn't hear good things about eating raw fish when I took a food prep. class... Worms, parasites, bacteria, ... yeesh. "Fish that have been commercially frozen (AKA not your home freezer) are safe to eat raw." Source: Instructor who's an RD.

Lastly, the fresher the better with raw fish if you're going to eat it anyways. The stuff at your grocery store is not fresh. Fresh fish doesn't smell. :p

When I was eating raw, I didn't have any recipes: I just ate individual foods by the handful. Three bananas at a time, two handfuls of almonds for a snack, etc... Maybe the most involved I got was smoothies, but I think you can figure that out.

I don't have any recipes aside from lettuce-based ones. Like spinach, romaine, sunflower seeds, raisins (some are technically raw), annnd all sorts of other produce.

Mainly wanted to post and give you a heads up to be wary of eating raw fish... Didn't hear good things about eating raw fish when I took a food prep. class... Worms, parasites, bacteria, ... yeesh. "Fish that have been commercially frozen (AKA not your home freezer) are safe to eat raw." Source: Instructor who's an RD.

Lastly, the fresher the better with raw fish if you're going to eat it anyways. The stuff at your grocery store is not fresh. Fresh fish doesn't smell. :p

Oh I understand about the fish. That's why I'll be eating ceviche. :)

^ You understand that just because a meat is marinated that doesn't mean it doesn't carry bacteria, right? (Just want to clear this up in case you do, 'cause it's a common misconception that marinated flesh doesn't carry bacteria.)

^ You understand that just because a meat is marinated that doesn't mean it doesn't carry bacteria, right? (Just want to clear this up in case you do, 'cause it's a common misconception that marinated flesh doesn't carry bacteria.)

the acidic juice 'cooks' the fish, killing the nasty bits

edit: guess I've been tricked all this time. ignore above post

Last edited:
the acidic juice 'cooks' the fish, killing the nasty bits
That's a common misconception, according to a dietetics professor of mine.

Also, according to a very quick search:

(Totally safe for work--Just some search engine results. :p)

NSFW:
2011-06-04_1502.png

I've experimented with this quite a bit. I'll list a few guidelines that I've developed for myself, just based on personal experimentation. You can work with variations on this:

1) Very minimal raw nuts and seeds, and no raw/sprouted grains. This stuff just isn't... "food". You can't get any significant amount of calories from this stuff, before it starts causing indigestion.

2) Don't combine concentrated protein sources.

3) Bean sprouts are wonderful. Start off by sprouting some lentils or mungbeans and make a big, satisfying, bean-sprout salad.

4) Eat lots of raw greens. Chop up a fat bunch of kale / chard / spinach, wilt it in a lemon vinaigrette, add some sweet fruit, and maybe some shredded carrots or beets, etc. (IMHO, lettuce is a bland and boring green. I don't eat any of it. :p )

5) Fresh, homemade coconut milk is divine. So is avocado. These, along with cold-pressed olive oil, are your sources of vegan fat.

6) And of course, lots of fresh fruit, which is where most of your energy will come from.

Last edited:
if you are going to be using fish and seafood use basil and lemon juice, natural disenfectant and stomach tonic. try and grow things such as kale, spinach, bean sprouts as you want your body to keep iron, viamins etc as much as you can they are quick growing and can be eaten raw.
Find out courses locally for wild foods and then spend time seeing what you can do with it raw.
you might want to consider smoking fish and then vacuum packing it, or a dehydrator so you can preserve foods when you can get them cheaper and abundantly. try sites that include food for all seasons, eat the seasons, preserving your own food etc for better ideas, recipes and frugal sites. :)

I have the privilege of "working" at a mostly raw vegan cafe. Well, it is more so a trade for food, shelter, and a little bit of money... anyways I eat lots of spinach salads with avocados, "creamy" hemp dressing, and tons of sprouts/micro greens. This always make me feel full. I also drink lots of fresh pressed green and red juice. The green is 10 plants, mostly dark greens with a celery/cucumber base. The red is mostly carrot, apple, and beats. These also give me lots of energy and the feeling of being full. I also drink smoothies of all descriptions. Mainly I try to incorporate super foods wherever possible. Check out David Wolf's books for more on that subject.

One key I've seen in good raw food prep is processing. Use machines such as blenders, food processors, and dehydrators to do some of the digestion for you. A walnut pate with all kinds of herbs etc is much easier to eat than hand fulls of walnuts. Also, you can make milk out of any nut by blending it with water, then straining.

There are tons and tons of books on the subject. David Wolf is my favorite so far.

I definitely feel more healthy right now than I ever have in my entire life :)

1) Very minimal raw nuts and seeds, and no raw/sprouted grains. This stuff just isn't... "food". You can't get any significant amount of calories from this stuff, before it starts causing indigestion.

Hmm, when I went raw I did NOT follow this rule. I was told to SOAK the nuts and seeds for hours before eating, that induces a biochemical change in the nut/seed that makes it more easily digestible. Not as yummy, but the anti-enzymes are gone and the nutrients are activated.

^ For my purposes, the fat=calorie loss induced by soaking the nuts kind of negated the slight improvement in digestibility anyhow. Soaking or no, raw nuts and seeds ALWAYS began to disagree with me before I could feel like I got any significant caloric value out of them.

For someone with really low-calorie needs, unlike myself, maybe they're acceptable as a larger portion of a raw diet.

Toasted nuts, on the other hand...

1 bunch asparagus
1 avocado
1 liter coconut water - maybe a bit less...
1 cup cashews
~ lemon juice a half or whole small one :-x
1 tsp tamari or soy sauce
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Hawaiian red sea salt for garnish
^seems like a nice touch

blend it all except the asparagus or add it what the heck -
i say "dice" up the asparagus - or cut into manageable pieces...